Campfire Delight: Chicken Fried Steak
Welcome, fellow campers! If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty recipe to satisfy your taste buds during your outdoor adventures, you’re in the right place. Today, we’ll be sharing a classic recipe for chicken fried steak that will leave you wanting more. This recipe serves 4 people, has a prep time of 15 minutes, and a total cooking time of approximately 30 minutes. So let’s gather around the campfire and get cooking!
Table of Contents
- 4 cube steaks (about 6-8 ounces each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra kick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vegetable oil (enough for frying)
- For a gluten-free version, replace all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Instead of cube steak, you can use round steak or even chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Feel free to adjust the seasoning according to your preferences. Add more or less paprika, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper to suit your taste.
Side Dish Ideas:
- Mashed potatoes: A classic side dish that pairs perfectly with chicken fried steak. Prepare instant mashed potatoes or boil and mash potatoes from scratch for an extra delicious and comforting camping meal.
- Grilled vegetables: Toss some sliced bell peppers, zucchini, and onions in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill them in a grilling basket or wrap them in foil packets and cook them over the campfire for a healthy and flavorful accompaniment.
- Cornbread: Whip up a batch of cornbread batter and bake it in a cast-iron skillet over the campfire for a delightful and corny side dish.
To prepare this recipe, you’ll need the following cooking tools:
Large mixing bowl: For combining the dry ingredients and creating the coating mixture.
- Whisk or fork: To beat the eggs and milk together.
- Plate or shallow dish: To place the flour mixture and coat the steaks evenly.
- Cast-iron skillet or frying pan: Ideal for cooking the steaks over the campfire. Make sure it’s pre-seasoned and has a lid if possible.
- Tongs or spatula: To flip the steaks and handle them while frying.
- Paper towels: To drain excess oil from the steaks after frying.
Now, let’s dive into the cooking process:
Step 1: Preparing the Coating Mixture
In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix well until all the spices are evenly distributed throughout the flour mixture.
Step 2: Coating the Steaks
In a separate shallow dish or plate, beat the eggs and milk together until well combined. Dip each cube steak into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides thoroughly. Allow any excess egg mixture to drip off before proceeding.
Next, transfer the coated steak to the flour mixture. Coat the steak with flour on both sides, pressing gently to ensure the flour adheres well to the meat. Repeat the process for all the steaks.
Step 3: Frying the Steaks
Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Make sure the oil covers the bottom of the pan, allowing the steaks to fry evenly.
Once the oil is hot, carefully place the coated steaks in the pan, being mindful not to overcrowd the pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to cook the steaks in batches.
Cook the steaks for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Adjust the heat if necessary to prevent burning. Remove the steaks from the pan and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
Step 4: Serving and Enjoying
Your flavorful chicken fried steaks are now ready to be enjoyed! Serve them hot with your choice of side dishes, such as mashed potatoes, grilled vegetables, or cornbread.
Pros of this Recipe:
- Easy and straightforward preparation, making it perfect for camping trips.
- The crispy coating and juicy steak create a satisfying texture and flavor combination.
- The recipe can be customized to suit dietary preferences and spice tolerance.
- Versatile side dish options allow you to personalize your meal and add variety to your camping menu.
Cons of this Recipe:
- Frying requires a sufficient amount of oil, which may be challenging to manage in outdoor settings. Ensure proper oil disposal and follow fire safety guidelines.
- The recipe requires access to a heat source, such as a campfire or portable stove, which may not be available in all camping scenarios.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the heat source and equipment, so be mindful and adjust accordingly.
Thank you for stopping by our website and exploring this delicious chicken fried steak recipe. We hope it adds a delightful touch to your camping adventures. Remember to stay safe, enjoy your time in the great outdoors, and keep an eye out for more camping recipes on our platform. Happy camping and bon appétit!
Here are some other breakfast recipe ideas you might find helpful. Spicy Breakfast Burrito: A Campfire Delight, Ultimate Grilled Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich: A Delicious Camping Delight!
Here are some camping related links that might be helpful.