This dutch oven enchiladas recipe is a delicious and easy meal to make while camping. Seriously, it’s easy. For campfire newbies and Dutch oven aficionados alike, enchiladas are a great recipe to start with! Heating up the cheese and ingredients requires minimal cooking skills—no need for an advanced culinary degree here. So if you’re looking to try something different out on your next outdoor adventure, why not take it from zero-to-enchilada?!
Table of Contents
Let’s get started, here is a dutch oven recipe for you to try:
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, sour cream, green onions
- Preheat your campfire or stove.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until they are soft.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce, beef broth, cumin, and chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place a layer of tortillas in the bottom of a large, deep dutch oven. Top with a layer of the meat mixture and a layer of cheese. Repeat the layers until all of the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of cheese on top.
- Place the lid on the dutch oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the enchiladas hot, with your desired toppings. Enjoy!
Possible Side Dishes
Here are some ideas to make your next Dutch Oven Enchiladas dinner even tastier! Serve up some cornbread, a Mexican-style rice dish, freshly cooked vegetables, or a creamy guacamole dip. For something sweet, try a classic Mexican dessert like sopapillas or churros. You may also include some unique sides like homemade tortilla chips and cowboy caviar. With these side dishes, your Dutch Oven Enchiladas dinner will be an unforgettable feast for all of the campers in your party!
At this point I think you can see how creative and adaptable this recipe can be. There are a number of different main ingredients you can replace, for example swap the beef for chicken or pork. Same goes with the broth. You can add more spice to the recipe with different variations of Jalapenos, Anaheim peppers, red onion, even vegetables such as cauliflower and squash can be added or substituted.
It really comes down to your own creativity and of course your tastes.
Pre-trip Prep and Tricks
You can prepare your enchilada filling at home in advance to save time at the campsite, after-all, you may be hiking all day or relaxing next to a lake and you won’t have the time to prep, store it a cooler or a refrigerator until you’re ready to use it. Simply skip the rolling of the enchiladas at camp, top with sauce and cheese, and bake.
Let’s Summarize this Dutch Oven Enchiladas Recipe
•This dutch oven enchiladas recipe is a delicious and easy meal to make while camping.
• For campfire newbies and Dutch oven aficionados alike, enchiladas are a great recipe to start with!
• So if you’re looking to try something different out on your next outdoor adventure, why not take it from zero-to-enchilada?!
• In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned.
• Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until they are soft.
• Stir in the enchilada sauce, beef broth, cumin, and chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Enjoy and Thank You!
We hope that your visit to Best Camping Recipes’ website was informative and enjoyable! Our mission is to provide camping aficionados with delicious camping recipes that can be made with minimum fuss, maximum flavor. We offer a unique collection of camping recipes inspired by global cuisines and crafted for every camping occasion. From camping snacks for the kids to make-ahead meals for adults, you’re sure to find something great on our website. Thank you again for visiting. Bon appetit!
A Link You May Enjoy
If camping is your middle name and boondocking is more than just a hobby, you’ll be excited to hear about this free campsite map. Whether you’re an expert camping guru looking for an exquisite camping spot or beginner looking for camping spots near home, there’s something here for everyone! With over 16,000 spots outlined in the map, there’s an adventure out there with your name on it. So pack up your camping gear and get ready for the camping trip of a lifetime thanks to this free campsite map!
Here are some camping related links that might be helpful.