Delicious Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos for a Crowd
Table of Contents
Welcome, newbie campers! As a seasoned camper, I understand that starting out can feel overwhelming, especially when it comes to meal planning. That’s why I’m here to share a fantastic recipe for make-ahead breakfast burritos that are perfect for feeding a crowd at your campsite. This recipe is not only delicious but also easy to prepare, saving you time and effort in the morning. So, let’s dive in and get cooking!
Recipe: Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
This recipe will serve approximately 8 people, but you can easily adjust the quantities based on your needs.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 30 minutes
– 12 large eggs
– 1 pound of breakfast sausage (you can also use bacon or vegetarian alternatives)
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 1 bell pepper, diced
– 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend)
– 1 cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot, depending on your preference)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 8 large flour tortillas (burrito-sized)
– Cooking oil or non-stick spray
Feel free to customize this recipe based on your preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are a few ideas:
– Swap breakfast sausage for diced ham, cooked turkey sausage, or crumbled tofu for a vegetarian option.
– Use different types of cheese, such as pepper jack, Swiss, or feta, to add variety.
– If you prefer a milder flavor, substitute salsa with diced tomatoes or omit it altogether.
– Add diced jalapeños or hot sauce for some extra heat.
Recommended Cooking Tool:
To ensure the success of this recipe, I highly recommend using a large non-stick skillet or griddle. It will make cooking the eggs and sausage much easier and prevent them from sticking to the pan. Additionally, having a sturdy spatula or a wide turner will help you flip and fold the burritos with ease.
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the breakfast sausage until browned and cooked through, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a spatula. If using bacon, cook until crispy and then crumble it. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
2. Push the cooked sausage to one side of the skillet and add the diced onion and bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Mix them with the sausage.
3. In a large bowl, crack the eggs and whisk them until well beaten. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the eggs into the skillet with the sausage and vegetables.
4. Cook the egg mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are fully cooked and scrambled. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Lay out the flour tortillas on a clean surface. Evenly distribute the cooked egg mixture onto the center of each tortilla. Top with shredded cheese and a dollop of salsa.
6. To fold the burritos, start by folding in the sides of the tortilla over the filling. Then, tightly roll the tortilla from the bottom, tucking in the sides as you go. Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas.
7. Once all the burritos are assembled, wrap each one individually in aluminum foil. Label them with a marker to easily identify the contents.
8. At this point, the burritos can be stored in a cooler or refrigerated until you’re ready to enjoy them. When camping, be sure to store them in a cooler with ice to keep them fresh.
9. When you’re ready to cook the burritos, heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Lightly coat the surface with cooking oil or non-stick spray.
10. Unwrap the foil from a burrito and place it on the hot skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the tortilla is lightly golden and crispy.
11. Repeat the process for the remaining burritos, cooking them in batches as needed.
Side Dish Ideas:
While these breakfast burritos are delicious on their own, you can enhance your camping breakfast experience with some tasty side dishes. Here are a few ideas to consider:
– Fresh fruit salad: Slice up a variety of your favorite fruits like berries, melons, and pineapple. Serve in a bowl or on skewers for a refreshing and healthy side dish.
– Roasted potatoes: Chop up some potatoes into small cubes and season them with salt, pepper, and your favorite spices. Cook them in a skillet with a little oil until golden and crispy.
– Yogurt and granola: Provide individual cups of Greek yogurt and some crunchy granola for campers who prefer a lighter option.
Pros and Cons of this Recipe:
– Easy to prepare and cook in advance, making your mornings at the campsite stress-free.
– Delicious and satisfying breakfast option for a large group.
– The recipe can be easily customized to cater to different tastes and dietary preferences.
– The make-ahead nature of the burritos allows for a convenient and mess-free camping experience.
– Requires some preparation and cooking before heading out to the campsite.
– Requires access to a cooler or refrigerator for storage, as well as a heat source to warm up the burritos during camping.
Congratulations, newbie campers! You now have a mouthwatering recipe for make-ahead breakfast burritos that will keep you fueled and ready for all your camping adventures. Remember to plan ahead and customize the ingredients to suit your preferences. Don’t forget to bring a large non-stick skillet or griddle and a sturdy spatula to make cooking a breeze. Enjoy your delicious breakfast burritos and have an amazing camping experience!
Thank you for stopping by our website, and we hope you found this recipe helpful. Keep an eye out for more camping recipes and tips in the future. Happy camping and bon appétit!
Here are some camping related links that might be helpful.